April 30, 2008

{04.28.2008} Whispers

I have been holding out on this blog...I know, it should have already been posted. The reason I waited is I went through bereavement and volunteer services training at Spectrum Butterworth Tuesday for Whispers.

The picture above is one of two polaroids I was handed during Nyla's first blood transfusion, but before she was put on the ambulance to DeVos. I questioned why they gave me those pictures and was told that it was for "if she does not make it." I do not want any mother or father to ever have that feeling of this being their precious baby's last picture. A mother knows their baby, feels their movements, and knows their schedules, before they ever meet face-to-face. I want to help capture the memories of this precious life to live forever.

There are so many reasons for photographers to volunteer in their communities. The most selfless reason is to tell someone else's story. The beginning of life, even if it is only moments.

Last fall I shared my daughter, Nyla's story with the Michigan Community Blood Centers. And yesterday shared it again during bereavement training. After crying a few more times yesterday I've discovered that my tears with Nyla are happy tears. The tears of being so blessed that our daughter came home with us and is now a vibrant, energetic, happy, creative, three-year-old.

If you would like to learn more about Whispers and Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, or how to become involved, just click the links.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I love you, and I love Nyla. I love that you are able to do this for others. I love you on behalf of the mothers that you will give such a precious gift to.